I expected amazing
food and kind people in Brazil. My only experience with Brazilian culture is
through friends and food, so I do not have many expectations apart from those
two areas. I know that there is a lot of pride about Brazil from Brazilians, so
I expect to find people that are very proud of their culture, and hopefully
willing to share it with us. I also know that some Brazilians may see Americans
as annoying tourists, but I think that if I show respect and a willingness to
learn, people will open up.
The Brazilian culture
that I have experienced so far has been through my friends who are from Brazil.
Everyone that I know from Brazil is very nice and friendly. I know that Sao
Paulo is a large city, so I think that many people will be hurried and purposeful
in where they are going. I think that although Sao Paulo will be busy, there is
a lot of character and life there to experience. I think that people will be
helpful as long as I show respect to people.
Since I have visited
other countries in South America, I think that that I will be able to adapt
very easily to the customs. Since Brazilian culture is very different from the
culture in the United States, it may be intimidating at times. I think the most
important part of this experience will be leaning into discomfort and asking
questions. The difficult part will be that I do not speak Portuguese so at
times there may be a language barrier if I am asking questions. Hopefully since
I speak Spanish I will be able to understand most of the Portuguese when I need
to.
I think at first it
will be uncomfortable to immerse myself into Brazilian culture. There may be
times when there are cultural differences that I am not aware of and I will
need to adapt the way I act in order to take those into account. I think that
flexibility will be important in finding my way through Brazil, but eventually
I will become accustomed to Brazilian culture and going back to the United
States will be tough.
The first step that I
will take to immerse myself in the culture will be to try and learn some
Portuguese. I will try all the food that I am offered (within reason) and
continuously try new food. I will also be trying to observe even when I am not
in class in order to gain as much as I can from this experience. The culture
here seems to be very warm and welcoming and I think that it is one that I will
be able to adapt to quite easily.
No comments:
Post a Comment